New end tables for the living room

20140323-170032.jpg

One of the other more recent woodworking projects I’ve completed were two walnut end tables for the living room.

I decided to make the end tables compact to help cut down on clutter than might accumulate on them if there was abundant acreage sitting around waiting for magazines, glasses, and unopened mail to pile up.

I found some really beautiful walnut at the lumber yard with a piece that was nearly perfect for the table tops. It was just a wee bit undersized by about an inch so I had to joint and glue a small strip from the same board to increase the width slightly. The joint lines are nearly invisible in the finished table tops and I honestly never see them unless I look for them now.

20140323-170043.jpg

I created a single drawer and shelf for storage of the bits and bobs that usually pile up on top of the end tables and they have worked out quite well since completing them in November.

I checked with the boss and she said they would be okay.

20140323-170050.jpg

There’s another one just like that one at the other end of the couch…

Back from my absence…

20140323-165418.jpg

Well, it’s been quite a while since I posted anything and I can’t believe it’s been since May of last year since I created a post. Our daughter is now 3 years old and between taking care of her and woodworking in any spare moments I can scrape together, it’s been pretty hectic to say the least.

I will try to catch up on the things I’ve been working on since I dropped off the face of the planet, starting with the mahogany coffee table.

We had been making due with various terrible tables / combination of tables / and no tables for our living room for quite a while. I knew I wanted a pretty wide top so it could serve as a central focus for drawing, homework (in the future), writing (like I’m doing right now for this post), and general domestic activities.

After balancing all of the wood options out there and thinking of jointing and gluing up numerous boards for the top, I just broke down and went for the African mahogany since I could make the top with a single joint down the middle. It turned out to be a pleasant choice as mahogany is quite nice to work with hand tools. Other than dealing with the interlocking grain that is characteristic of mahogany, it is quite a nice wood for working with hand tools.

Unfortunately, the legs are also of mahogany but from a different tree and were harder than any oak I’ve ever worked combined with being incredibly abrasive due to the hard resinous inclusions in the wood. Mortising through them for the rail turned out to be a less than enjoyable experience. In the end, it turned out okay, but the amount of work involved for the mortising and planing the legs was significant.

I’ll probably work with mahogany again in the future, most likely for another toolbox I’m planing to make, but will make sure to test out the boards at the lumber yard to ensure the wood is workable and not extra dense.